23/12/2012

Breaking The Curse, 12


Malaysia Open happened yesterday. It is not a prestigious event but qualifies as one of the four big tournaments Kuala Lumpur has to offer annually. Some considers it an important event the rest have different opinions and for me I just happened to feel like playing Yugioh before the world supposedly ended (RM10 entry fee with chances to win 5 booster boxes ain’t that bad.) Meta-wise, I do not see any changes in the Top Three being Mermails, Wind-Ups, and Heroes but to a certain degree Verz seems like a legit threat and there were signs of Malaysians picking that deck up after it took Singapore’s Top Store tournament. Regardless, RM600 minimum for Verz-only-cards aren’t exactly cheap in my country’s standard plus I wasn’t  so sure anyone would attempt to jump ship unless someone won the event with it on that day and fuck my instincts never go wrong. That certain someone who won with Verz was non-other than the so-called Malaysian God, Sam Kee. Congratulations to Sam for winning the Malaysia Open yesterday! Now let’s go into my side of the story.

Malaysia Open 2012
Format: Single Elimination (Asia Advanced)
Deck Used: Hieratics Exodius

ROUND 1 (Malefic Skill Drain Valley)

Fuck my life seriously! First round coming into this tourney and I have to play some emo match-up. 

GAME 1: Photon Trasher hit the field and I assumed it was Hero Beat. I took a few swings from Trasher and waited until I draw enough back-row removals to go for game. It came to a point where I drew enough triple MSTs but lack monsters to go over the 8000 damage margin. So, I took a change of pace and attempted to apply pressure with M7 combo. The game was as good as mine until he topped a Gravekeeper’s Commandant, searched Necrovalley, and dropped a Sin Cyber End Dragon on me! FUUUUUUUUUU!!! 

That was screwed enough until shit hit the fan when my BLS got trolled by Skill Drain. Eventually a few turns later I died to the monstrosity which was Sin Cyber End Dragon.

GAME 2: Hello friend, Trap Stun OTK!

GAME 3: Goddamn you Game 1 Malefic Cyber End Dragon! Opponent proceeded to eat a TRAP STUN OTK!

XOO
(1-0)

ROUND 2 (Wind-Ups)

FEATURE MATCH! Didn’t think I would get the chance to scream that in this country. LOL!

GAME 1: Early M7 provided some much needed advantage and thanks to Maxx “C” and Veiler my opponent couldn’t escalate the hell out of me. I went for the Gustav Max play a couple of turns later with the aid of Trap Stun to clear of his Rabbit and Ship but not enough to kill him. Next turn Gustav Max got home-run by CED because I decided to Damage Step Lance a Tyrus to avoid a turn of tides. Gaia Dragoon and Wattaildragon got the job done later on.

GAME 2: Tragoedia got sucked into the Dark Hole. Garbage hand and had to make some minus play to eventually get a Wattaildragon on the field. Opponent’s set card looked like an Ultra Rare, I assume it is either a Dimensional Prison or Mirror Force since he didn’t activate it when Watt landed, brain decided to defy logic and ATTACK INTO A DIMENSIONAL PRISON! GENIUS! BRB Rabbit laughed the shit out of me.

GAME 3: Fast game from both sides. It came to a point where I bait and he responded but I have enough monsters to end the game. REDMD and Trap Stun MVP of this game.

OXO
(2-0)

ROUND 3 (Firefist)

This tournament just keeps getting better and better. I saw plenty of participants playing Wind-Ups and Mermails but I had to meet some random deck which I don’t even remember most of their effects. Y U NO GIVE ME MERMAILS?! My ignorance and negligence towards Firefist is pretty much everything to be pointed at but I managed to go the distance. That was until I ate a Heavy Storm in Game 3 and shit escalated. Those back-rows were important pieces to make sure i end the game in Turn 3 but that wasn't the case i suppose. Note to myself, Thunder King Raioh is good so run three of them.

XOX
(2-1)

So, I ended up in Top 32. This will probably be the last tournament I play in for the rest of this year but that is undecided yet since there is still another large scale event in Penang later this week. 2012 has its perks and a single digit Top remains elusive to me this year in major tournaments. Hopefully my results will be better in 2013. The rest of the day was spent joking around with LGQ, Shahmir, and Sherwyn while watching Sam’s auto-win in the Finals (Shock Ruler FTW!) Coming to the end remember to play smart, fight hard, or go home a loser!

Quotes of the day:

Shahmir eat pork please!
by Sherwyn and everyone else

Mom dropped him when he was a baby.
by Sherwyn


No comments:

Post a Comment