21/08/2012

Baby Left In A Bus


          (Please Kindly Be Patient And Wait For Your Turn!)

The world of Yugioh is filled with curiosity and confusion. I supposed it’s the way it is and will always remain as it is. Now when you think of it that is probably the best attraction point any trading card game has to offer. Duelists or rather contestants are constantly forced to participate in a race of never-ending assumptions and speculations to only realize there is only this much one can race passed through. In a nutshell, you will almost at every time finish short or realistically get slapped in the face with dissatisfaction. Yes, Yugioh is all about reality check these days. Ever since it entered the open era that is while you and I might go on wondering when exactly has Yugioh entered the open era. As a matter of fact that is indeed irrelevant information as of now. 

Let us proceed to the topic. The purpose of this article is to serve as an answer to all my readers that has been spamming my inbox and such likely media asking why, why is Tour Guide semi-limited before reaching OCG? Extra Pack 2012 is in October so why hit it now and not wait until the March 2013 banned list? Why would Konami hit the highlight of their future product? Indeed, why? To be honest and it is fairly obvious to see Digital Mortal is not affiliated to Konami as a partner or whatever legal title society has for such positions. With insurances bought, I will now present to you my reasoning and personal answer to those who have been dying to understand the logic behind Konami’s actions. Extra Pack 2012’s purpose is not to promote Tour Guide let me be clear even if that is the idea and reasoning to many Yugioh players in the OCG preparing to purchase it, including myself. 

Tour Guide is the main attraction of the set but most of us mold our minds into replacing the idea and concept of Extra Pack 2012 to an approach we all understand. A means to justify our own actions and decisions. When you think again Tour Guide is but another card in the set in Konami’s eyes. They are aiming to sell a whole product not a single piece of Tour Guide. That is the overall objective to achieve. Now this is the part where most of everyone reading this article going “But Tour Guide is THE reason why players would buy Extra Pack 2012! You said it yourself!” Off with your hats people! Not heads. I am not going to deny the fact that I have the same initial thinking as everyone else looking forward to the arrival of Extra Pack 2012. But this is not Tour Guide or should I say this is not how Yugioh is made to be.

If I had to compare Yugioh to anything in the world right now the most accurate reference would be fashion. Why? (Here comes the benefit to asking WHY all the time.) Simple, it won't be finished. That's the point, the way fashion is never finished. I am talking about the idea of it and I am saying it's never finished. It never ends. Just like Yugioh. First we get Fusion, than we get Synchro, after that we get freakin' Exceed. It's endless. God knows what comes next. Well, not only God but Konami as well. Though in many ways Konami is THE GOD of Yugioh. That brought me to understanding why putting Tour Guide in Semi-Limited before being released in OCG made sense and doesn't change a thing. As simple as it is, we forget that TGU is broken. At three, two, or one. Consumers will still buy the fucking card regardless of the status of TGU itself because she is notorious in the world of Yugioh. And she works. Probably all that matters. 

Malaysia has an average growth in terms of Yugioh players by 50-60 head counts per month. (Based on Duelist ID registration and information from a friend of a friend.) That is a rough amount of numbers but it’s good enough to serve as a benchmark and let us price EXP2012 at RM100 (Distributor price). Now based on the data provided calculate the amount of profits and sales number. That’s right. This is my answer to why Tour Guide went to two despite having debut in OCG versions. In a long run, semi-limiting Tour Guide doesn’t do a shit to their account books. Not even the initial sales of the product. Trust me, I know what I am saying. Normally you would expect a slight drop in sales but that isn’t the case with EXP2012 or should I say Tour Guide? Why, because like I mention earlier it is a fucking broken card! No matter the status or rarity of the card itself players are going to buy a play-set or maybe more. It is the same as how some players are STILL purchasing Dark Armed Dragon or Sangan or Scrap Dragon up till today. With more new consumers joining the game it is a matter of time before they demand for results and achievements. When they do, they are going to gun for cards that serve a role in defining the Meta. Power cards. Again, simply because it’s good and it works! The principle of demand and supply is everything to my answer.

                   (Urm...Are We Forgetting Something?)

Eight hundred and ninety words and I have only covered on Tour Guide, what about the rest? There is Dolkka, Shadow of the Six Samurai, Adreus, Wind-Up Shark, Wind-Up Rabbit, Tour Bus, and Reborn Tengu not accounted for. Let’s calculate that too! LOL! No, I’m done with today’s article. No more wall of text for you to endure. A reminder, Extra Pack 2011 or Extra Pack Volume 4 was awful yet it scored a substantial amount of sales just because of Maxx “C”. To all my readers and friends who have been looking for my perspective in the Tour-Guide-Going-To-Two-Before-Entering-OCG-case this is my answer. It is my personal opinion. You may agree or disagree. Either way, I hope you have found this article interesting and helpful. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment