31/08/2012

Obsessions Is Such An Ugly Word


Yugioh has made me a lot of things. Naturally, you learn to be a better strategist as you progress deeper into the competitive scene of the game. To a certain extent, you become very good in scheming and such. No doubt there will always be a positive and negative side to every aspect in life. Overall, players learn to make the right choices and decisions as those are the essence of your success. Sometimes that could be a factor to keep you alive in the competitive scene. Yugioh like everything in the modern age progresses and evolves fast. Today the top deck might be this but the fact is those elements changes as fast as cell-phone models. Tomorrow it is another deck that defines the Meta. Adapting to new trends, conditions, and challenges is the definition of fun behind this game. So, yeah, you learn to be a better person in your own definition.

Going back to the topic, Yugioh has taught me a lot. Blogging has taught me as much. It has come to a point where I understood more values in life by playing this card game and by writing and sharing my thoughts about it compared to a session in the lecture hall. As much as this game has taught me, it has yet to explain hypocrisy to me. Now, I know we deal with it in our daily lives but, hey, that doesn’t mean one has to practice it. Voluntarily or involuntarily. Of course, it is easy enough to point fingers and such but what’s the point really? People are entitled to their own beliefs and their proposed truth. I don’t intend to make sense in this post but I trust my readers to get the point of this jumbled up article. But I’m intending to clear my mind of some issues. All and all, I do realize I am the kind of person who rather fall and start again than be a coward who cannot accept failure.

Here’s the thing, I see plenty of common players in Malaysia buying new products every time Konami releases one. Following the trend and changes in the Meta and all but surprising enough there are experience and good players who top with decks like Agents during premier events. How does spending-to-top apply to those set of players? Having said that, of course the majority of the Meta is filled with the ‘new shits’ since that is unavoidable, however, most of the players who top here in Malaysia are familiar faces who have enough credentials to back them up. I don’t see the relevance of top players being only people who spend a fortune on Yugioh. There is only so much one can argue about overpowered cards, luck, and sacky formats. So in a nutshell, the players who top and win in my country are still players that deserve those credentials. Some do it with Meta decks, some with random decks. I personally don’t spend a bomb when it comes to personal use in YGO but I’m making very much a huge leap in my record in the competitive scene. So, I can’t see myself agreeing to that theory. Unless RM100 tops (approximately 32 USD, 26 Euro, and, 40 SGD) per month is considered a huge fortune. 

Granted Yugioh credentials aren’t something you can include on a job resume or your curriculum vitae but it is still a return of investment to players who work their way to achieve what they have in the competitive scene. Plus, there is no point in doubting or discrediting the legitimacy of their so-called success. Difference in terms of player-skills caliber will always exist no matter what we say or think. No one is the same. Like it or not, a top/win is a top/win regardless the player’s deck of choice or however the fuck he or she earned it. The random joes who spends like an idiot don’t win or top and the ones who spends wisely tops and wins. At least, that’s how it is in Malaysia. Well, I am only speaking from what I observe in my country and I am aware that we do not have as much premier events as other countries do so traveling cost or whatnot is definitely not a big deal. That’s all for now. Thank you for dropping by!

4 comments:

  1. Nice article,good players will adapt every format rather than sticking to the goat format forever and whinning over and over such as this Michael Bonacini
    Stop complaining and keep playing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There is no point in constantly asking for what's in the past. Too much is too much. Better to move on and learn from new formats. Shitty or not, Yugioh goes on and we can choose to lose the race or be an even better player by defeating the format. :)

      Delete
  2. I really can't understand people that would rather play another yugioh format more than follow the actual one. If you don't like the actual format, wait 6 months or try making it better. Hopefully, next format (starts tomorrow, here in Italy we have only 3 hour left of the actual format) there will be few goat control players, and more "real" players, since it's going to be a more (relatively to the actual meta) skilled one. As always, awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. You either deal with reality and play along or just wait till the season changes. Its really a simple thing. But i suppose not everyone has the patience to persist on. Yes, the September format looks promising for a fresh start. Let's hope it be a good one.

      Delete