05/06/2012

Rolling With The Top Dogs, 11


We had Claudio last week and he recommended Rodrigo Togores to be in this segment. Thanks to Claudio I manage to get in touch with mr Rodrigo. Thank you and much appreciated! So, let us learn from Rodrigo this time. A player with a burning passion to compete at the highest level. Present today, all the way from Spain, Rodrigo Togores. Let’s get down to business. 

Rodrigo Togores



1.Let's start of by introducing yourself. Please tell us a little bit of who you are.
I´m Rodrigo Togores from Spain, media student and working in car rental for films. Card player, YGO, MTG or poker. I have topped a lot of premier event, won twice the Spanish championship,  SJC, and European championship and some more.

2.Before going into serious business. Do you've a favourite deck, which deck(s) is it?
One of my favorite decks was Yata-Garasu deck before BLS and CED came. Then Frog FTK which was in my opinion one of the best decks, a FTK deck that can combo with Synchros or have its own combo or control the game, Amazing.

3.This is a 'lil something everyone wants to know. Are there any YGO cards you especially like? I mean, favorite card(s).
My favorite monster is Relinquished since I saw it in the TV show. My favorite spell is Clock Tower Prison and my favorite trap is Return from the Different Dimension.

4.Okay, going into business. How long have you been playing YGO and what is your personal opinion on the state of the game right now?
Since 2003 but really at competitive level since 2004. But I don’t think I was good outside of Spain until 2009 or so.

5.Apart from improving skills, being competitive means understanding the current situation of the format. What do you think of the format as of now and how is the Meta in your country performing at the moment?
Reborn is a too powerful card in the format right now. And Heavy Storm. Wind up combo sucks and all the rest is not ok but not too bad.

6.What deck are you running at the moment and how is it performing in the format, in your opinion? And, just out of curiosity, why do you choose that deck as your weapon of choice?
I´m playing Bubble beat, I don’t like any of the others deck in the format and enjoy playing my Power Rangers. I think I perform better when I play a not so good deck which I enjoy 100% than a tier 1 that I only enjoy 70%. Then deck has really good combination and one of the best side decks in the format. But now with so many dragons it is more difficult but not impossible to win. It performs well and it did gave me a Regional win and top at YCS Toulouse and some other big events in Spain.

7.This is a personal interest of mine. Do you think TCG exclusives are capable of making an impact in the OCG competitive scene by the time they arrive? Will they be positive or negative changes?
Tour Guide but the others I think no, really only time can say it, apart from TGU I don’t think there is any TCG exclusive card that can do it.

8.YGO is serious business nowadays. Are there any specific preparation taken by you to get yourself ready for major events? How does it help you?
I play and think of the situation, more than testing the deck I think about it. But it’s true that now with DN I play more, because I can connect me and play half hour or so every day and test a little.

9.Side-decking has always been an important part of the game and many players still aren't familiar with it. What does you focus on in your side-deck and how do you decide on which card is effective enough to be included?
You need to have a good side and not only good cards. You have to know what to take out without breaking the grid of your deck. A lot of time you can put 8 cards in but you only have 3 cards that you really can take out. So knowing this before side decking is important.

10.Continuing from the question before. Side-decking sometimes reduces the synergy in your main-deck. Do you side in a specific order to prevent that from happening, is there a formula you apply while side-decking?
Depends on the deck and the opponent, sometimes you side deck card against your opponent’s side, sometimes you want to counter your opponent’s game plan and other times you want to be faster. There are a lot of options and ways to do this.

11.I'm sure a lot of players are interested in your methods of seeking improvement as a competitive player. What do you do exactly to be a better player?
I try not to lose, that’s the biggest trick. Not to lose against a good player also versus a bad player. For every turn you survive the more time you give your opponent to make misplays. Then you can win from there on.

12.The banned list has always amused us. So, let's say Konami gave you the right to ban a card, which card(s) would it be? Why? Now it would be reborn or BLS both are stupid cards right now.
(Rodrigo did not answer this question but based on the answer he gave for question number 5, I’m guessing its Monster Reborn or Heavy Storm.)

13.By banning a card, what if Konami again gave you the chance to unbanned a card, which card(s) would it be? Why?
Magician of Faith, it would give the game a much more strategic way of playing. If MoF is there, there is no way to know that DH or HS are gone and then swarm or set like 5 back rows.

14.Apart from the banned list, if you given an opportunity to change a part
of YGO, what would it be and why?
Slower formats, with not so broken cards. It makes skilled players more powerful. It is like back ago when D.D Assailant where played with Spy and Monarchs. All the game was to getting as more 2X1 when you make good plays.

15.Last question, are there any players out there that you think should be in this section? Who do you think Digital Mortal should interview next?
I think Raul Fernandez Guiscardo should be here. He is not a famous player but he top 4 this year Euros with worms and is one of the best players in Spain. And thanks for all ^^

There we have it. Words of wisdom from Rodrigo Togores. Thank you for spending some time for this interview! To readers, I hope you’ve enjoyed this interview and please leave a comment if you’ve someone in mind which you think should be in this segment. Thank you for dropping by!

8 comments:

  1. i think sam kee should be in this segment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think cheaters should be interviewed. I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really love to hear the whole story. Just saying.

      Delete
    2. Hit me with all of them. Interested. No sarcasm involved. Sorry if i sounded that way.

      Delete
  3. I don't think saying it over the comments section is very professional. You can add me on Facebook. Eustace Whynogivechance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done. Waiting for you to accept and PM. Thanks.

      Delete