08/06/2012

Zeitgeist With A Touch Of Cronus Complex


As I sit in my office staring at the load of free-lance assignments sitting on my desk due in three days, a thought came through my mind. Often times I see players losing matches they could have won and later claims that they are not drawing enough pieces to achieve their win condition. At times such claims are true to a certain extent, however, most of the time it is in fact because that particular player fails to see how to capitalize in a situation according to the resources he or she have. While I am certainly not saying it is good to play randomly and lose a sense of purpose in your plays, often enough variation is necessary to allow yourself to predict and plan the flow of the game. Unless you draw an outright broken hand or ideal hand. The problem as stated above is mainly caused by the players’ unconscious need to abide to their deck’s main function. Or, to a certain amount of cards they are holding in their hand afraid to use just in case they need it later. I am not specifying power cards alone. It can be something as simple as a Pot of Duality.

What many do not realize is the availability of each and every card to serve a different purpose. The POD you hold not only functions as a search engine in your deck it can be used as a bait to fool your opponents. Call me Captain Obvious but can you disagree on the fact that many do that sub-consciously? Funny enough it is this little things that helps you change the pace to your favour. Simply put it, today’s post is about switching tactics depending on what you draw in a match. Ask yourself a question oblivious to you and maybe many others; is an OTK deck only capable of winning through OTK? It is important for players to realize and understand how to generate advantage through switching tactics in between games or turns if I may. If you do not draw a sure-kill-hand, how do you maintain your ground and buy time until you are able to achieve the deck’s main objective? A simple solution is to first understand what are your available resources. Remember what you’ve in your Extra-Deck or think of a move where your opponent has to reply in a predictable fashion if not they would suffer more. 

I must admit I use to be one of those duelists. But learning from mistakes and experience is a part of growing. No one is born a champion. There is no perfection in reality only an illusion we all speak of to describe what seems ideal to us at that point. The same goes with Yugioh and making the best plays. Understand what needs to be done at the moment and do it. There is no point forcing a play you cannot make and end up scrubbing. There are a variety of strategies and tactics in this world, learn to see them and use them when you feel right. Most importantly make your plays confidently. Nothing works if its half-ass or is done doubtfully. Likewise, you do not knockdown an opponent with straights in boxing. It is stupidity if one only relies on a linear tactic to find victory. Nor is it wise to strategize with a bigger picture absent. So, the next time you face such situations think carefully and decide on a move which could possibly be the turning point of your match. Until next time, remember to play smart, fight hard or go home a loser. Thank you for spending time here!

5 comments:

  1. like seriously what does your title mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all of your post, every single word. I'm a card game player, but not only Yugioh, but even a lot of card games played with other types of cards, even classical ones. I must say that what you've written here I usable in pretty much any card game. You must think out of the box, never stuck with always the same moves, must decide if to risk or not to draw a certain card or change playstyle.
    Great post, I was going to write an article about the same thing, but since you've done this, it's no more needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You should still write about it in my opinion.

      Delete
    2. Nah, as you can see, and I wrote that in some posts too, my blog is mostly to improve myself on various things (writing english abilities, random writing abilities, yugioh stuff to clear up my mind, or even as a "garage" where I post all of the thing I'd like to see in the future). Since I don't even advertise my blog, it is unlikely that someone reads it, and it it most for myself, but IF someone read it, it is to improve himself, what's the point in writing it if there's another blog that wrote the same thing? At least I'll do a post linking this and stop, nothing else.

      Delete