12/04/2012

Rolling With The Top Dogs, 2


All the way from UK, this is a player who is not shy to project his confidence and principles. Also a player with many interesting theories and talent. We had Wilson Tsang last week, now I present to you Simon He. Enjoy the interview!

Simon He

 

Notable Achievements:
Top 8 YCS Leipzig 2012: Dino Rabbits
Top 2 YCS Long Beach 2012: Dino Rabbits

UK Meta

Well to be honest I don't know, I'm in university and am starting a business so I don't really go to locals anymore I just go to premier events. Last time I went to a qualifier was a month ago and the format is pretty much the same, Rabbit, Inzektor and Wind-Up. There aren't as many rogue decks in UK as there are in the US. Rabbit will not remain supreme for long, it's too straightforward and after a while everyone learns how to counter it. Next month a new archetype (Hieratic) is released and it seems very fast, I think Rabbit is on its way out. 

Preparation For A Big Event

I could write a short book on my preparation for a big event, actually I'm currently writing a tournament report for tcgplayer.com where I mention most of my preparation ritual so check it out there when it's released. Generally, practice everything that's a threat, practice side deck.  Sleep well, stay hydrated, and stay focused, it's hard to do so for two whole days but it's important. Don't let a loss get you down and affect your next match, but don't think it was nothing either, learn from your mistakes and move on. 

Side-Decking 

No side-decking is easy, it's just that people don't test side-deck, they just put it n and hope it turns out. Before an event I know exactly what to side in and out against the decks of threat and what to side in and out if I'm going first or second. Side-decking strategies have changed. It used to be siding one card that destroys one particular deck of threat. But now the format is so diverse, all of your side-deck cards have to be versatile and work for different decks and not just one.

Fastest Way To Become A Good Player

That's a bad question, there is no fast way there! Like everything in life, if you use a short cut the it generally means you weren't as thorough and you would have missed vital experiences and testing.  It's like those adverts on the Internet saying you will earn money or lose weight fast and try to sell you a scam.
Hard work, determination, practice, thinking smart (do not follow the trend, understand why you make decisions and have your own theories, don't live by someone else's opinions) Take other people’s opinions into consideration but always question them until you are personally absolutely sure you are comfortable withe the choice. Try to find some on your level or better and keep aiming higher, you will both drive each other to new levels. 

Unbanning Of Cards

I see this question a lot. Most people who do well doesn't have an opinion on this because no matter what card comes back it makes no difference because everyone is in the same format. Good players usually find a way in all formats whilst others generally tend to just complain about it. If its cards that I don't mind coming back, well I think Magician of Faith is one of many cards that won't have a huge effect if it came back.
If its cards I would like to come back just so I can play them again, I guess I want Pot of Greed back. I actually don't believe that card is that broken anymore, sure it's a straight plus 1 but it's heavens less broken than Graceful Charity. 

Check out Simon He's articles in TCGPlayer.com. Here is one, http://yugioh.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=2754 

No comments:

Post a Comment