18/05/2012

DM-Literature Of Ideas

Heads up, this post has nothing to do with Yugioh. A couple of days back a few of my readers asked me in Facebook why is my blog called Digital Mortal. Is there a reason behind the name? Except to make it sound cool. Well, here's an essay to explain the title of my blog. Writing articles out of the central can be fun at times. I've only come to realize that upon completion of this essay. Enjoy i suppose? LOL



Digital Mortal is an initial I created for myself at the age of fifteen. The original purpose of this initial was to act as my band’s name though after much time has passed it became a blog where I share knowledge regarding Yugioh. The concept behind Digital Mortal is the embodiment of living in a digital age where information travels no longer on a highway instead a super highway. Mortal indicates the definition of the word itself, not to forget the identity of your roots and origins. Together the concept depicts the romanticism and idealism of an individual struggling to hold on to his individuality despite existing in an age of digitalism. In a world where everything moves and evolves ahead of time and traditions. Where personalities contradicts between reality and virtual reality. The digital world has progressed to a point where it has become a system that identifies the new generation. Digital Mortal serves as a remainder to me as to who I am and where I wish to place myself in the world.

How did the name come about? Apart from outdoor activities, I am an avid follower of video games. May it be console or PC games. I used to spend my weekends locked in my room playing games. Not much free time available during the weekdays due to my other interests. To a certain amount, I lived in a world of my own. I am grateful for not ending up as an anti-social. Science was also something I found amusing and entertaining. Dimensions, light, sound, speed, all these were elements that captivated me until today. That is how the ‘digital’ part of the name came to be. Mortal-wise, I cannot say for sure that I am a believer however I do understand the essence of spiritualism or so I think. It is a part of me which I do not want to forget and it has contributed to my mentality and maturity. For that, I am very thankful.

In many ways, Digital Mortal is a persona of my true-self. The idea of being immortal in virtual reality has always been a popular debate in the sci-fi genre. True enough one can constantly regenerate inside the digital world. A simple example of creating multiple e-mails, Facebook profiles and more. The question here is, are you really immortal in virtual reality? Or are you merely a file duplicated various amount of time. Well, I cannot say for sure myself. Thus why the word mortal is of huge importance to me. I do not wish to an immortal or a mere virtual memory. I want to exist in digitalism and live along side it. However, that brings about another concept. If you exist as an idea, as a concept, doesn’t that make you immortal? Ideas are bulletproof. Ideas can be a way of life in so many different interpretations. To conclude, Digital Mortal is an idea meant to serve as a remainder of who I am and how I should co-exist with the progression of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment