14/05/2012

Rolling With The Top Dogs, 7


We had Baha as a big guest last week and it was one hell of an appearance. I’ll let this week begin by introducing another big name in Yugioh. Some of you might know him,  some might have heard of him and there will always be those who don’t. So, this is one good time to learn his existence. All the way from Panama, Galy de Obaldia! He’s given one hell of a credential list. Anyway, time to read up guys!

Galileo De Obaldia



Notable Achievements:
Irish Open I Champion
National Champion 2010
National Champion 2012
National 2nd Place 2009
National 9th Place 2011
YCS Mexico Top 32 2012
Continental Top 8 2009
Continental Top 8 2010
Continental Top 16 2011
World Champion 2010
World 3rd Place 2011
( He also has many more Regional and Non-Premier Tops and Wins.)

1.How is the meta in your country performing at the moment?
I´m not actually too familiar with it, as some other things have taken priority over Yu-Gi-Oh! However, it´s pretty much the same as anyway else in the TCG world - Rabbit, Inzektor, Wind-Up, Heroes, Dragons. 

2.Do you think TCG exclusives provides positive changes in OCG's meta and competitive environment?
I don´t follow the OCG meta, even though it´s something I should do to look for innovation!

3.Has Yugioh's progression gotten better and do you enjoy playing the game as of now?
I do enjoy playing, but there´s something about the big tournaments, the ones that get you pumped. Those are the ones that truly matter to me now. Hanging out at locals is something I don´t do too often now, but it´s still a fun and relaxed atmosphere.

4.How do you prepare yourself upon entering a major tournament?
5.How do you usually choose which deck to play? Is it by meta-preference or passion?
(Galy answered both questions at the same time.)
Make sure I am comfortable with my deck choices, and I feel comfortable I will do ok!

6.What is your major focus when it comes to side-decking?
Versatility + consistency! Good side decking is a BIG deal if you want to consistently do well at major tournaments.

7.What is the best or fastest way to improve yourself as a player,in your opinion?
There is no fast way. Some players are naturally faster learners than others, and the basics to become a "good" player are pretty much the same, concepts such as, card advantage, tempo, etc.  However, to become more than just "good", that will ALWAYS take time. Thinking a few turns ahead, mind games, proper reading of the game, adjusting play styles when necessary, and more.

8.If you were given the right to ban a card, which card(s) would it be? Why?
Not sure, Monster Reborn maybe?

9.If Konami would allow you to unbanned a card, which card(s) would it be? Why?
This one is much easier. Tribe Infecting Virus, Magician of Faith, and a few more cards that really have no reason to be banned anymore.

I honestly think the new ban list was not properly thought through (From a players point of view at least). I haven´t given it THAT much thought, but it could certainly improve considerably.

10.Apart from banned list, if you were given a chance to change something in Yugioh, what would it be?
Somehow find a way to make it more skill based and less luck? Ha! If only! I enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh! It´s fun, and let´s me get away from the stress of every day life! I think Konami just needs to make sure Yu-Gi-Oh! keeps moving forward, not just from a sales point of view, but from a competitive scene point of view as well.

(Shout outs to my Team - United Gosus! And all my friends from around the world. National season is coming, I hope I can qualify for Worlds again, and get back something that is mine.)

I hope you enjoy this interview and learned something out of it. Hopefully, I’ll find enough time to continue my review on decks that are supposedly posing a threat in the coming WCQ. Or in general still a potential killer in your country. Also, I’ll try to introduce more good players from the OCG side. Let me know if there are anything you want me to write about. Thank you for dropping by!

10 comments:

  1. Wut!? Galileo De Obaldia is from United Gosus!? I thought they still haven't get their hands on a World Champion, guess they did now XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, its growing big and they now have tons of good players.

      Delete
  2. Galileo inspired me to play plants :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow~~The legendary Frogguy(I call him like that...xD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe! Frog Monarchs FTW. Miss that deck. :D

      Delete
    2. His WC2010 win was with Frog FTK btw

      quote from sunglee "I have a Stardust + Gigaplant on the board, he had nothing, then he top deck Mass Driver ... and I lost ..." from one of the swiss rounds

      XD

      Delete
    3. I see. Sounds interesting. I only got back into the game during the end of 2010 and wasn't aware of it. That's a godly top-deck indeed. Sucks to be Sung Lee at that moment. LOL

      Delete
    4. OMG! Did you travel all over the world just to meet them! Amazing!

      Delete
    5. Nope. I wish i did though. I traveled digitally.

      Delete