18/05/2012

Perfection In Some Senses


The one thing that never fails to catch my attention is how players make their transition between decks. It was initially a thought I had in my when I returned to the game, why not if you have the cash and it’s a better deck? Well, to a certain extent that statement is true. Since changing according to the trend almost immediately means you book a spot in competitive play. A more powerful, capable engine triumphs over an older version of itself. Then reality slapped me, why some top players stick with a deck when there are clearly better choices out there? It took me two decks to finally understand why knowing your deck inside out pays when you play competitively.  That set of data comes only after a certain amount of time invested on it. Personally, I would recommend playing a deck for at least seven months before switching. But, yeah, that’s me.

How does sticking with a deck long enough benefits you? Imagine this. Why is what you see at first so important when facing an unknown foe? If you can spot a big difference in mental or physical abilities, then you may be able to overpower them at some point. If your opponent seems equal to you, then the more data you can absorb, the better. You will learn to wager the advantages and disadvantages by instincts. Or experience. In a nutshell, understanding your deck gives you firsthand information on how to deal with it. Ultimately, being a one trick pony can only bring you as far as being able to win against a default set of players. In Yugioh, variation in terms of combos and plays makes all the difference between amateur, good and great players. The longer you spend focusing on one deck the more you can achieve. It gives you a sense of clarity when making decisions as well. The same applies to deck construction and side-decking. Flexibility in techniques and tactics counts, do not forget that.

When you have information or knowledge it helps you strategize properly. Then, you can change the duel to a pace that benefits you, creating a perfect environment in which to use your strongest moves your hand cards offers. This requires the ability to adapt yourself to a variety of circumstances, but choosing the moves you will make beforehand certainly always makes it easier to win in the end. All this comes only through a long period of time taken to understand the deck you are running. Of course, picking up tricks by observation is available however can you safely say you are capable of creating a win condition when given an unfamiliar set of hand cards? NO! I am convinced that only time, understanding and effort can supply a duelist with confidence and the knowledge to know which plays are the best in different situations they come across. Creativity originates from superior understanding. 

Understanding your deck of choice is one of the biggest step good players constantly struggled with in some extent. It is like a restart button.  Whenever you become good at something, a better version appears and you would have to learn everything once more. By learning does not mean merely knowing the engine but it involves having the ability to modify it to reach a higher limit. The more effort you put into understanding a deck the faster you find yourself in a point of innovation. May it be a new variant, fitting in a new effective tech, or something as simple as knowing which moves to make by gut feeling. If you are aiming to not be only a good duelist, instead a great one, be sure to take time to fully comprehend your weapon of choice. That is what gives top players the finest charisma, power, knowledge and confidence everyone respects them for. They make moves that surprised you. Where did that come from?

When you think of it, Yugioh players are no different from professional fighters. Why are there people who seem to persistently summon painful, horrible battles where their blood flies and their bones ache? (In our case, choosing to go against a better duelist or compete with our fear.) When you were little, adults probably told you many times that 'being a good fighter doesn't get you anywhere.' Well, in so many ways you probably agreed it was the truth. While society has progressed into a more civilized state, having 'power' translate to being economically comfortable. The same applies to 'strength.'  These people can't understand the feelings of those who seek older form of 'power' anyway. I was the same as those economical-induced individuals. But after learning to expand my horizons I felt I got closer to re-defining my perspective. Everything used to immediately fall in favor to money in my life previously. So, what is it really? Perhaps it comes from the strong feeling of 'wanting to change.' That reason alone far outweighs the pain, fear and meaning of fighting. When you relate that to Yugioh, it becomes the drive that brings down the fear of losing in you. Thank you for spending time here!

14 comments:

  1. What a great piece of writing. Trully if more people, spent some more time understanding the plays of their deck to their full extent and potential, instead of nagging about broken decks and busted cards, then Yugz would be significantly better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Many misunderstand the privileges given to us in this age. The internet to be exact. It was meant to help mankind's progression in learning instead people take it as a form of short-cut. This has affect every aspect in society to a certain extent in my opinion. Easily related to how YGO community as of now.

      Delete
  2. that's deep right there...

    I've settled on a few decks that I'll play for keeps
    (to continuously pursue their most perfect form)

    I dunno if it means I got what you meant, so it might not hurt to ask... did I get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its opinionated that i can say. LOL. I do recommend you focus only on a maximum of two decks at a time so you do not confuse your equilibrium as a player. :)

      Delete
    2. I don't think this is the proper approach , people should have a access to a working build to all the top decks complete with side decks. I understand the great majority of players can't do this in real life but atleast in dueling network. Play each of them for an extended period of time, get to know the combos and plays just as you would your main deck. I don't think it disrupts your equilibrium but in the end makes you a better player.

      Delete
    3. Everyone has their own ways of improving. I'm just presenting my opinion. If your method works, its good for you.

      Delete
  3. Nice Article, Two Thumbs Up!!

    I can very much relate to the article since I have been a Dark World Player ever since 2006 and never changed my deck ever since, my inactive blog explains everything ^^

    I know it's different for everyone when choosing a deck, but I can proudly say that throughout the years I've learned variations of Dark World, that can very well compete in any Banlist/Meta,

    I was able to adapt and create a style uniquely my own, and im proud to say I NEVER Netdeck, I do browse articles on YCS and blogs and studying their playstyle, learn from plays and stuff,

    Experience is indeed a great Teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Make your blog more active man. LOL! Glad to hear you found what defines you as a player and best of luck in improving your skills.

      I don't oppose net-decking. I think its a great way to learn and a very good tool to make use of for information about how the deck is going to influence, shape the Meta. However, i disagree with blindly copying without understanding. That to me should be a crime. And yes, experience is a great teacher. :D

      Delete
  4. Didn't even read all of that text, because I knew what I was going to read. Oh, don't misunderstand, the post is very deep and full of useful things, but I preferred not to read it all because I know prettymuch everything about this argument: knowing your own deck is the key for everything.
    Sadly I know this, but never applied it for two main reason:
    -Reason 1: I don't play IRL,so I don't need to become the better duelist ever (lol), I just play to have fun on the net with some friends I knew even before starting playing or with friends I know thanks to the game;
    -Reason 2 (main one, probably): I like to build alot of decks, and change them everytime I play. Now I'm in an ideas-lack period, but back in time I builded 2 or 3 decks in a row and I didn't even have time to test all of 'em out. Pretty much half of the deck I have on Dueling Network aren't even tested. Sometimes it happens that I find a deck that I didn't used for a long time (2 months, usually) and play with it, even if the meta has changed, and happens that I don't remember if I had or not this X card in the deck, and sometimes I lose because of that. However, I don't even know if I build and change deck this fast because I want to build more or because I'm bored with actual decks.

    Again, good post, continue writing posts like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't take anything personal unless its personal. LOL! Thank you and i'll do my best to keep the quality.

      Delete
    2. Well, if you've misundarstanded that, it would be personal, LOL.

      Delete
    3. The thing is i didn't. If i did surely you'll see me replying your comment in a different tone. Honestly speaking.

      Delete
  5. Here's my take on the game, ive played it for since september 2002. Those who bond with their decks and get to know it( yes i know this sounds corny and what not) always will seem to do well with a deck and for some reason that very deck will always do well for them. But this is also a truth with yugioh or any other TCG those that can comprehend game mechanic of how the basic model of the TCG system work will do well at any card game as opposed to those who are only decent at one. To further elaborate all TCG's have a deck minumum, all have a starting hand count, all have a turn order system, most have a resource system (excluding yugioh and vanguard), most have win condition. In terms of every TCG your best bet is always to play with the fewest amount of cards you can possibly fit into your own deck to have the odds on your side. and its always good to practice run your deck to see how it draws knowing how it draw after 100 test games where you play 3 draw phases each practice run will tell you if a card is or isnt more likely to get into your hand when you need it within the first few turns which in the case of most TCG's thats when you want to draw those cards so you can end it before your opponent assuming they are not doing this rigourous testing can acheive their decks full stride.

    ReplyDelete