23/05/2012

Rolling With The Top Dogs, 9


We are back again for another session of Rolling With The Top Dogs. Let me introduce yet another top player from Japan. If you follow Shriek, i'm sure you've heard of his name. This duelist right here has made his presence known by piloting Vayu Turbo like a God. No joke, he is a beast with Vayu Turbo! Continuing from the Japanese Crusade, I now introduce NANA to you. Another one of the big names we see frequently in Shriek. I would again like to thank Satoshi Kato-san for helping me get in touch with top players in Japan. Greatly appreciated! They will certainly be hard to locate without your help. Get right into it!

NANA



Notable Achievements:
Nationals Champion 2010
Nationals Top 16 2011
Japan Championship 3rd 2012

How is the meta in your country performing at the moment?
Currently Inzektors are the dominant force in Kanto area. Even with Geargia as the new member in our Meta, everyone built their decks to combat against Inzektors. They are still very strong.

Do you think TCG exclusives provide positive changes in OCG's meta and competitive environment?
I personally think they make an impact in OCG meta. But they would need to be strong to do so.

Has Yugioh's progression gotten better and do you enjoy playing the game as of now?
I don’t like the recently release of cards since they are rather theme-based. I prefer cards that can be played in a variety of decks. Cards that can act as toolbox measure and of utility-based. But I’m still enjoying game of course!

How do you prepare yourself upon entering a major tournament?
I seek advice from good players. We need to be open-minded if we want to win. Insights and criticisms are important factors to determine how you would perform and progress as a player.

How do you usually choose which deck to play? Is it by meta-preference or passion?
I analyze my deck of choice and consult trusted associates about it. Consider the advantages and disadvantages before making my mind up. From there I decide whether I like the deck or not. I prefer Trap-based decks like Vayu Turbo. Those are mainly my choices of deck to run.

Passion-wise, my favourite deck is Vayu Turbo and it has access to one of my favourite cards, Icarus Attack. That card is so good. It can be use for offensive and defensive tactics.

What is your major focus when it comes to side-decking?
I usually side cards that works well against a majority of decks in my Meta. Side-deck needs to be flexible and strong against everything. I believe my side-deck should be able to deal with everything I meet. To be able to change my deck for every match-up, that is my main focus.

What is the best or fastest way to improve yourself as a player, in your opinion?
For me, I choose to study and analyze top players’ decks. You can learn a lot from them Analyzing their skills is also important because you can learn to improve your own skills. Lastly, always play-test seriously and concentrate when you do so. It brings a lot of benefits to know what to do in tournaments. Also, be fearless and try anything!

If you were given the right to ban a card, which card(s) would it be? Why?
Rainbow Life. (NANA did not specify any reason for naming this card. I hope he is not trolling us. LOL!)

If Konami would allow you to unbanned a card, which card(s) would it be? Why?
Metamorphosis. The Extra Decks nowadays are so full and I don’t see how this card can be generally abused.

Apart from banned list, if you were given a chance to change something in Yugioh, what would it be?
I  would like it if we have more big tournaments like Shonen Jump Championship!

We have come to the end of another interview. I'll be looking to improve on the quality of my interviews soon enough and be sure to stay tune for more interviews with great players. Hope you've enjoyed this one! If you think i should interview any specific player, drop a comment below and i'll try to get onto it. Thank you for dropping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment